Scan QR
Cleopatras Gate, In the Byzantine era, the city walls had three gates: the mountain, Adana and the sea. While Evliya Celebi was talking about Tarsus in his book of travel, he called the gate here the sidewalk gate. All three gates were intact until the end of the eighteenth century, and Ibrahim Pasha al-Masry destroyed them in 1835, leaving only the one-arched sea gate. They were met with great celebration in the town of Tarsus, where Cleopatra, the famous Egyptian queen, met her Roman lover, General Antony, and entered the city through the sea gate. So its name remained Cleopatras Gate.